Latymer

Latymer

Latymer

Latymer

The school takes its name from him. Edward Latymer. 1557- 1626.

Latymer was appointed in 1594 as Deputy and Clerk to the Receiver General at the High Court, a position involving collecting monies owed. Over the next 25 years he became a man of wealth from his fees, particularly from complex inheritance cases. He lived part of his life in Hammersmith. In 1615, he purchased a small property in Edmonton, which was a fashionable country area of the time.

He never married and did not have children, and made his will in 1625 (but was dated 1624). He gave most of his wealth to the people of Hammersmith and the Parish of St Dunstan's, today Latymer Upper School, and a less generous bequest for the Parish of Edmonton, today The Latymer School. The main source of this income was the rental from his property situated at Pymmes Brook on the main road to Scotland, which later became a coaching inn The Bell, and was renamed The Angel in 1780. It was demolished in 1968 through a compulsory purchase order for the widening of the North Circular.